The Vital Aging Network’s Wellness 50+ program plans to embed sustainable wellness initiatives in four communities over three years. The initiatives will be led by older adults trained through the Vital Aging Network’s Evolve: Re-igniting Self & Community.
The outcome of Wellness 50+ will be measurable changes in behaviors that contribute to wellness and/or positive health outcomes in older adults in one or more of the following categories:
- Healthy Eating
- Physical and Social Activity
- Healthy Thinking, Feeling, and Being
- Prevention, Healing, Coping with Chronic Disease
At the conclusion of the pilot program, the Vital Aging Network will develop a replicable model for implementing the Wellness 50+ initiative in communities across the Minnesota and the nation.
Long-term impact of Wellness 50+ is expected to be:
- Positive behavior changes and improved health indicators among older adults living in the community.
- Ongoing capacity in the community to plan and implement wellness-related projects.
- Strong community support for behaviors that contribute to wellness.
- Better quality of life for older adults through increased wellness.
- Better community decisions on wellness-related issues for people 50+ because more people will be involved in defining the problem and implementing solutions.
- Lower healthcare expenditures and lower social service costs due to wide spread behaviors that decrease need for services.